Sunday, September 26, 2004

"Lion King" & "Prince Leo in the Jungle"

I was listening to the sound track of Lion King and I suddenly thought about Lawrence Lessig's talk on Walt Disney in "Free Culture." I remembered the time I first saw the movie "Lion King" several years ago. I was quiet surprised by the story since it was very similar to the animation I used see when I was very little in Korea. There was a Japanese animation called something like "Prince Leo in the Jungle." I wondered how it could be so similar to each other and shortly after, I read an article talking about this issue. I think the article said Japanese company that produced "Leo" brought up the issue against Walt Disney saying that Disney copied their story and ideas. However, Disney said they didn't and it was their own idea. I know nothing more than that since I wasn't that much interested in it at the time. After reading "Free Culture" and having discussions in class, it feels funny to see how those two animations were very similar to each other in almost every aspects and still can be claimed as originals.

3 Comments:

Blogger Anne Brew said...

I know just what you are talking about. I am a media geek. There are so many remakes and borrowings going on in the movie industry it amazes me. What amazes me more is how any of these mogals can claim copyright on stories or ideas that they borrow from somewhere else.

l love the way you write. It is simple, short and direct. Thanks for your insight.

September 27, 2004 at 9:32 AM  
Blogger Anne Brew said...

I know just what you are talking about. I am a media geek. There are so many remakes and borrowings going on in the movie industry it amazes me. What amazes me more is how any of these mogals can claim copyright on stories or ideas that they borrow from somewhere else.

l love the way you write. It is simple, short and direct. Thanks for your insight.

September 27, 2004 at 9:32 AM  
Blogger Kari Kraus said...

Yeun, good post.

Many people have also speculated that The Lion King is a thinly disguised adaptation of Shakespeare's Hamlet. See, for example, this discussion.

September 28, 2004 at 8:27 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home